The ReliaCard Visa is a debit card, not a credit card. It is issued by US Bank. Child support payments are electronically deposited to this card by the State when they are due and received from the person that owes the child support. Only the State can deposit funds to the card.
Unlike a credit card, cardholders can only use the funds that have been deposited by the State. Customers cannot deposit additional funds to the card.
No qualifications or approvals are needed to get the ReliaCard. There are no credit checks or approvals required to get a ReliaCard.
You will be issued only one card. Only the person to whom the State is making payments will receive a card.
Using a ReliaCard Visa Debit Card
The ReliaCard can be used:
- To make purchases everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including places like grocery stores, gas stations and restaurants.
- To pay bills, and for online, phone and mail orders.
- To get cash from any bank teller that accepts Visa.
- To receive cash back with a purchase from Interlink merchants.
- To get cash from ATM machines (fees apply.)
The purchase amount or cash withdrawals are automatically deducted from the available funds on the card.
Activating the Card and Setting a PIN number
Your ReliaCard must be activated before it can be used. After a person receives the card in the mail, he or she must call US Bank customer service to activate the card. This phone number is sent with the card.
The ReliaCard PIN (Personal Identification Number)
The ReliaCard can be used to make signature-based purchases without entering a PIN number. However, a PIN must be used for cash withdrawals at ATMs. The cardholder chooses his or her own PIN by calling US Bank customer service after they receive their card.
For security reasons, it is important that the cardholder pick a PIN that would be known only to them. Cardholders should not share the PIN or the card with anyone.
Lost or Stolen Cards
If the ReliaCard is ever lost or stolen, a new one can be requested from US Bank by calling the toll-free customer service number 855-233-8374 to report a lost or stolen card. This customer service number is also listed on the cardholder’s monthly statement and on the back of the card.
After the report of a lost or stolen card is processed, a new card will be issued and any remaining balances from the old card will be transferred to the new card. The cardholder will not be responsible for any fraudulent activity that occurs on his or her card as long as the card was reported missing in a timely manner, and have not shared his or her card or PIN number with anyone.
Fees are administered by US Bank. Please call US Bank to learn about potential fees.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What happens if a cardholder no longer receives payments from the State or has switched to direct deposit and now has support deposited into a personal bank account?
- The cardholder can continue to use his or her card until any remaining balance has been used.
- Can the State view or track individual cardholder transaction activity?
- No. For privacy reasons, US Bank does not share card account numbers or transaction details with the State. However, to make sure amounts deposited to the card are correct, the State does have access to the amount and date of deposits the State made to individual cards.
Additional Information about ReliaCard
For additional information about using the ReliaCard please go to the https://www.usbankreliacard website and review the information in the links at the bottom of the home page.
For other questions about the card, US Bank customer service is available 24/7, every day of the year, toll-free at 855-233-8374, This number is also listed on the back of the card.